Savvy Consumers Used Record Number of BBB Services in 2011
· Consumer requests for BBB Business Reviews up 25%
· Consumer requests for Rosters of BBB Accredited Businesses up 21%
Memphis TN, February 1, 2012 – Consumers looking for advice on where to spend their money consulted the BBB in record numbers in 2011. Requests for BBB Business Review reports jumped 25% over 2010 to 754,494. Consumers looking for referrals to reputable businesses requested 154,503 rosters of BBB Accredited Businesses across all types of industries – a 21% increase over 2010. The BBB received 8,083 complaints.
BBB President Randy Hutchinson said, “Savvy consumers are being more cautious than ever with their hard-earned dollars. They want to know if a company is reputable and that an unsolicited offer they received isn’t a scam.” He cited the BBB’s initiatives to get BBB Business Reviews on page one of Google and other search engines and its release of the BBB Search app that lets consumers view reports using their iPhone, IPad, and iPod Touch as contributing to the increases.
The number of BBB Accredited Businesses increased to 3,311. “Savvy businesses recognize that consumer trust in the BBB translates into trust in the businesses that it accredits. More and more members are using the BBB logo in their advertising and on their websites,” Hutchinson said.
Following are the top 10 industries that generated the most inquiries and the most complaints in 2011:
Most Inquiries in 2011:
2. New & Used Car Dealerships
3. Home Builders & General Contractors
4. Heating & Air Conditioning Companies
5. Home Improvement Companies
6. Auto Repair Services
7. Property Management Companies
10. Swimming Pool Contractors
Most Complaints in 2011:
1. New & Used Car Dealerships
2. Auto Repair Services
3. Property Management Companies
5. Heating & Air Conditioning Companies
6. Cable, Cable TV and Satellite Services
7. Furniture Retailers
8. Health Clubs
9. Dry Cleaners
10. Home Builders & General Contractors
Consumers can check out businesses nationwide on our website at bbb.org or by calling 901-759-1300 or 800-222-8754.