Sunday, March 7th kicked off National Consumer Protection Week (NCPW) and the Better Business Bureau of the Mid-South is proud to support this effort to educate the public on how to become savvier consumers. Especially in this economy, consumers need to take control of their finances and be vigilant about protecting themselves from frauds and scams.
Your BBB is here to help anyone looking for advice on how to spend money wisely all year long. Here are just a few ways we can help:
- Provide every-day advice on how to manage your money and be a savvy consumer. BBB has hundreds of tips and alerts on everything from how to build a family budget to avoiding the latest scam. Advice you can trust is available on our website at www.bbb.org or by calling our office at 901-759-1300 or 800-222-8754.
- Find a business you can trust. The BBB Accredited Business Locator can help you find businesses in your area that uphold BBB’s rigorous standards and have made a commitment to support the work of your BBB. There are nearly 400,000 BBB Accredited Businesses in North America. Click here to download the application.
- Use our database to research a business before you buy. BBB maintains reports of nearly four million businesses in North America. A company’s reliability report will include contact information, how many complaints they’ve received, how they have responded to complaints, and display the letter-grade rating based on information the BBB has collected on the business.
- Resolve disputes with businesses. Your BBB can lend a hand if you have a dispute with a business. Every year, BBBs nationwide receive hundreds of thousands of complaints from disgruntled consumers. We are usually able to help resolve these issues quickly and easily.
- Warn consumers about impending rip offs. While the BBB isn’t a law enforcement agency, the information you provide enables us to identify trends and warn others.
For more information about the National Consumer Protection Week, go to www.consumer.gov/ncpw.