The BBB of the Mid-South advises businesses to take precautions to avoid being victimized in these kinds of scams.
• Check out the company and its publication. Ask for a copy of a previous directory edition or the website url. Is it a website that consumers will use to search for companies in your industry?
• Contact other advertisers in the directory to ask if their listing has been a good buy.
• Ask the publisher for written information about when, where, how & how often it is distributed & distribution figures.
• Check with BBB & your local and state consumer protection agencies for complaints.
• Train your staff so they are aware of the red flags for potential scams.
• Assign designated buyers within your company and document your purchases. Get everything in writing.
• Check all documentation before paying bills. Institute strict accounting controls.
• Report fraud to your local BBB and the office for consumer affairs in your state.