Memphis Service Center Earns F Rating with the BBB
August 23, 2012 – Memphis, TN – The BBB of the Mid-South is issuing a consumer alert about an electronics and appliance service business, Memphis Service Center, located at 3905 E Raines Road. The BBB has processed 14 complaints against the company in the last 3 years; 13 of those remain unanswered. Memphis Service Center has earned an F rating with the BBB.
Complaints against Memphis Service Center allege that consumers paid for repairs on televisions, refrigerators or other home appliances but those repairs were not satisfactorily completed. Many of the complainants also stated that Memphis Service Center was unresponsive to their calls when they tried to check on the status of their repairs.
Based on information provided on his TV manufacturer’s website, a Collierville man took his big screen TV to Memphis Service Center for repairs. “After 3 weeks and a $150 service charge, I took my TV set home and it had the very same problem when I hooked it up,” he told the BBB. “Another TV service center subsequently replaced the digital board and it now works fine,” he added.
An Olive Branch MS man took his TV in for repairs and paid a $100 deposit. “When I called about my TV two months later, they said it couldn’t be fixed but when I picked it up the lady said the part to fix it was on back order.” The company refused to refund his deposit.
He also had trouble getting in touch with the company. “These people never contacted me,” he stated. “When I would contact them, they would always tell me ‘Let me call you right back, I’m real busy right now’ and they would never call me back.”
Another Olive Branch man complained that on each visit to his home, Memphis Service Center was finding new parts that seemed to work on the last visit but now seemed to be broken. He told the BBB, “I was not going to spend more money on a refrigerator that was promised to be fixed in 4 other visits.”
The Better Business Bureau reminds consumers to do their due diligence prior to doing business with a company:
- Ask for recommendations from friends and family or ask the company for and check customer references.
- Check out a company’s rating with the BBB at bbb.org or by calling 901-759-1300. Remember that companies who haven’t responded to other consumer complaints may not be responsive to you if a problem occurs.
- Check to see if the company is on the TN Division of Consumer Affairs’ Buyer Beware list at http://tn.gov/consumer.
- Get estimates and quotes in writing. Quotes should be specific and state what parts will be used and what work will be done.
- Ask what type of training the company’s technicians receive. Is it up-to-date and factory approved?
- If you don’t have a company in mind, the BBB can supply you with a list of BBB accredited companies in this or any industry.
Consider the value of the appliance you are repairing. It may be more economical to replace an appliance than to repair it, when cost, life expectancy, and efficiency are considered.